Community Mental Health App
In the midst of a pandemic, taking care of our health was more important than ever. The BeWell mobile app is designed specifically for college students to connect and support one another. With a focus on mental health, BeWell provides various mechanisms to help students get through those anxious days.
A 6 week class project: Emphasis on User Interface Design
Conducted research, collected data, prototyping, basic user testing, and created a visual identity
Our team began with reaching out to friends and family members across the U.S. who were within the 18-22 age range. We learned more about their biggest stressors, stress relievers, and Covid-19 impact on mental health.
We found that 93.3% of our respondents struggled with mental health while attending a university. The main issues included: increased stress, anxiety, depression, difficulty focusing and sleeping. A majority of students' health was impacted negatively by Covid-19. Exercise and self care were the most common methods used to tackle this problem. We also noticed that almost all of the students reached out to their close friends when going through a rough time.
We realized that one possible solution would be creating a platform that allows students to connect to like-minded others that are going through a similar situation. It would be supplemented with features to set reminders, goals, and essentially hold each other accountable for taking care of your mind and body.
After synthesizing and discussing the results, we put together a flowchart of all potential pages in our app.
We put together some rough prototypes of the following screens:
Sign-up, Login, Survey, Profile, Connect, For You, & the Calendar
In parallel, we worked on user testing through a persona sprint.
Once the architecture for the app was established, our team parted ways to work on the second half of the project individually. I started with icon sketches, moved on to digital iterations, and then finalized the logomark.
The last phase of the project was concept development. Here, I created layout sketches, worked on several digital iterations, then finally translated those ideas into the final screen designs.